Saturday, January 22, 2011

solitude.

Hi all

Okay, this family is seriously the greatest. Today A (the dad) said, "I farted in the dressing room and I'm pretty sure it knocked out the person in the stall next to me." hahahhahahahah they have no idea how much comments like that mean to me. I am still not fully out of my shell yet. I have only been here a week.
They will say things like that, and then follow by saying.. "Jenna probably thinks we are gross people!" haha no way... if they only knew what all of you know about me.

I can already tell after one week of being here that I am definitely supposed to be here. I made the right decision for sure. I had a lot of fun in St George at school, but it was time to be done. The student housing I lived in definitely wasn't making me a better person. I made some great friends there that will last a lifetime but I'm so happy I decided to come here and experience a different adventure for a while.

Social experiment: Go out to eat by yourself. It's interesting. Society has this idea that being alone means you are really lonely in life. They look at you like they feel sorry for you. It is one of the most courageous things to do, in my opinion. Do things by yourself, go to movies, go out to eat.. and I'm not just saying this because I'm in a position in my life right now where that's really my only option. Solitude.
My good friend Ashley's words: "When I get lonely these days, I think: So BE lonely. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.."


Best advice. Be alone with your thoughts. Only then do you find your true self. 

3 comments:

  1. Ashley brought it to my attention that that quote is NOT hers. It is from Eat, Pray, Love. I knew I had heard it somewhere ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jenn,
    I like your update about eating alone. I got used to doing that alot when I traveled to Boise so much last year. I always took something to read. I enjoyed myself and ignored everyone else. PS If the Smith's only knew the real you.
    Love ya,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go to the movies and out to eat alone all the time! they really do look at you like you have a terrible life and it makes me laugh! So glad to hear you are having fun! I envy you!

    ReplyDelete