Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My Parents.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them."
-Mother Teresa.


I was getting my hair done yesterday and my hair dresser, who happens to be a gay man, shared with me a little bit about him coming out to his parents and their current relationship. 
He came out one year ago, and they have not spoken in three months.
Having been introduced to many amazing people in the gay community over the past few years, I have heard story after story of heartbreaking broken relationships between parents and child. 
Not only in the gay community, but in any situation, whether it be a pregnant teen, a drug addict, or even a child who doesn't end up exactly how their parents would like:
 Children need love.
Children need their parents more than anything in this world.
Love and acceptance starts in the home. 

This really has got me thinking these last couple of days how thankful I am for my parents.
Many people have asked me, "What did your parents do when your brother came out?"
My answer: Just made sure he knew that he IS loved. 
I've also been asked, "What did your parents do when they found out your 17 year old brother got his girlfriend pregnant?"
My answer: Let him know that they were there to help him in his rough time. Kids make mistakes, and being angry at him wouldn't solve anything or help them move forward.. and they knew that.

I am so thankful for parents who aren't afraid to stand up for what they know is right.
I am so thankful for a dad who treats my mom like gold. 
I am so grateful for a mother who puts her children first.
I am so grateful for parents who not only accept differences in their children, but encourage us to find the beauty them. 
I am so lucky to have parents who encourage their children to chase their dreams and never settle for anything less.

So this one is for you, Mom and Dad. 
This one is for all the parents out there who have been surprised or hurt by their children's actions, but do all they can to show their love regardless. 

Mom and Dad, Thank you for everything. Thank you for being beautiful people who do more than you could ever imagine for so many people. 

I love you.
I am proud of you.

(Gay pride parade, SLC 2010)
(Mom and Joshua)






1 comment:

  1. Jenna thank you so much for this special tribute. I love you so much! You are the best daughter a mom could ever ask for.

    ReplyDelete